Friday, February 11, 2011

Sixteen!

My son is 16 today. As we approached this day, I felt good about it. Then yesterday I was asked "Wow. How do you feel about having a sixteen year old?". Well, I've reflected more on the years I've shared with him, but honestly I still feel good about it. Perhaps it's because there are still toddlers in the home so "empty nest" isn't due to set in for many, many years. Maybe I'm okay with it because he's a good kid and I'm excited to see him grow up. I remember looking at him as a newborn and wondering what kind of a person he'd be at one, and five and fifteen and thirty; wondering what kind of a Mom I would be; wanting the very best for him and wondering if I could do that, bring that, to him. He is my first and he made me a Mom. It just doesn't seem like sixteen years ago. It really doesn't. I know kids grow fast, but I didn't know it was at lightning speed.

I was in a store last night and I was buying birthday plates and such and the young cashier asked if we had a birthday coming up. I proudly told her yes, we did! My son will be sixteen tomorrow! She smiled big and without hesitation said, "Oh, that's great! Is he getting a new car?" I took a momentary second to register shock at the question and then laughed whole-heartedly. She joined in laughing with me and I told her "No, he will not be getting a new car. He will be receiving pizza and hot wings." We laughed some more and the incredulity of today's youth's entitlement attitude hit me. While the clerk was still laughing, I stopped, smiled, and said "No, we don't believe in a free ride. If he wants a car of his own, he'll get a job."

Many years ago as a young Mom I used to tell him that we weren't saving for his college education, we were saving for his therapy. As he gets older, I'm thinking he may not need that therapy. I see that as success! Do you think it's because he's not getting a new car for his 16th birthday?






Happy Birthday Rejean!

Psalm 127:3 "Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from Him." 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment