Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last week I was done in by a 2 year old, and 18 inch box and a rocking chair.  My husband and 16 year old son found the humor in this immediately, of course.

Two days prior to the rocking chair incident, I dropped a knife. Don't worry, no one was around me, but I had forgotten to move my foot. It didn't stick in my foot very long, but for the short time it was there, it left quite the bruise and spotted my sock red. Great. More difficult laundry. Just what I need.

The knife happened to land right on the inner edge of my big toe, so I walked a smidge funny. Just a smidge, mind you.

While moving to the television to turn on cartoons, my 2 year old was quite literally hanging on my left leg screaming to be held. He wanted to be held while watching cartoons so of course I had to push all the buttons first. After setting that up, I turned around and my Velcro Buddy didn't even budge off my leg! This kid is a natural for rock climbing. Or perhaps it's his inner Monkey that allows him to cling that well? He reminds me of those stuffed toys that have velcro hands that hook together and are hard to break apart!

As I was walking away from the television, my right foot tripped over a box that was leaning against the railing but had been knocked down earlier by aforementioned Velcro Buddy. I tried to catch myself with my left foot only to be reminded that my leg doesn't move quite as fast with an extra 32 pounds clinging to it. You're surprised by that, aren't you? Yeah, I was too.

As I was falling, I was aware that squashing my Velcro Buddy wasn't an option so I reached out to catch myself on the nearest object, my wooden rocking chair. This would have been an awesome reaction had my wooden rocking chair not been a lightweight. My chair decided to help do me in and fell over sideways with me. How rude, right?

As my hand pushed down on the arm of the rocking chair, my body was still falling forward and my head was inching toward the chair seat. This of course lined my head up right under the other arm of the rocker. Ornery rocking chair decided it was a good day for a challenge and raced me to the floor. Normally I'm game for a good race, but this was a bit unfair. Unfair mainly because I lost. The chair won fair and square but not before the other arm of the chair smacked me in the head first. Hard. This was quite unexpected. You're surprised again, aren't you? Yeah, I was too!

I was only out for a second or two, honest! I remember being hit and thinking just how much my head hurt. Then I remember opening my eyes and seeing the floor and the rocker arm under me. Of course my Velcro buddy had become unstuck and was screaming over me demanding to know if I was alright. I slowly sat up and hugged my little guy and reassured him I was defintely ok. He clearly  had doubts as he kept asking that same loud question over and over again.

This is where I tell you that I'm not sure I was ok. My head was really fuzzy, I couldn't hold a thought in my head and I was horribly sleepy. I collected my teens to help see to the needs of my littles as I slowly came out of my stupor. I was thinking clearly in about 3 hours, but I had a massive headache for 2 days and I am not referring to my dishonorable rocking chair or my Velcro buddy!

My loving husband wanted to know why I didn't call him and let us work on a way to get me to the hospital. Really? You would not believe the teasing I've had from "stabbing myself" and then "knocking myself out with a rocking chair".  Do you really think I'd go to the hospital and have my head examined? No, of course not. I'd never live that down!


The Lord sustains all who fall and raises up all who are bowed down.
Psalm 145:14

No comments:

Post a Comment