Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Brothers


I really wish I knew what it was about boys and guns. Discourage it all I want, they seem to “use” them anyway. They make them out of legos, out of paper, out of Spiderman action figures. *sigh* 
I’ve officially decided to move on. I give up. Yep.You heard it here. I have bigger fish to fry and this isn't one of them. I know this is a controversial subject in parent-land so if you decide to take your toys and go home and not play with us anymore, please know I understand.
Soooo... yesterday I’m putting laundry away and I hear Chewie go “Pshooo! Pshooo!” and then 10 seconds later I hear my 4 year old passionately whining, “Moooooooom! Chewie shot me!!” Um... Chew used his finger. That amused me. Don’t know why. Maybe because I’m embracing little boys? Who knows. I do know that my boys have a good sense of humor and if they see something that triggers a good reaction in anyone, they will pursue it with dogged determination. Perhaps that's where I went wrong in the beginning. Wait. I know that's where I went wrong. *smacking forehead* Oh, the things I learn. I will tuck this lesson away for future reference!
So anyway, this morning Chewie and Jacoby each have a square. You know, those “L” shaped tools used in woodworking. They have plastic ones that came with their tool sets.  Both boys stand in the kitchen maybe 3 feet from each other and stare with “guns” pointed. Both are smiling and Chewie goes “One...two...three!” and both boys “shoot”. “Pshoo, pshoo!” is all I hear. Then Jacoby grabs his heart in grand Lia inspired drama and falls to the ground slowly with all the dying-drama he can muster. 
(Here is where I pause my story to tell you my girls taught this game. Now see why I give up?) 
Chewie runs the three feet over to Jacoby and shouts, “Oh no! Baby!” and offers his hand to Jacoby. The offered hand is graciously accepted with a wide smile and Chew helps Jacoby to his feet. Both boys share a high five, then expect a high five from me, and then take a few steps back and start their stand off again. The entire scene is replayed three times over until Chewie decides it’s enough. They then go hand in hand, smiling, down the hallway to find another game.
Brothers. How precious are they? I pray with all of my heart that they stay that close through all of their years.

No comments:

Post a Comment